It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:55 am
Change font size
Once Upon a Time Fan Site Forums Fan forums for Once Upon a Time

Once Chit Chat

Finale Discussion: How did Emma...

General Once Upon a Time chat.

Finale Discussion: How did Emma...

Postby sillybillyxo » Mon May 14, 2012 4:54 pm

One of the biggest questions after the final episode... How did Emma break the curse? Why did it break? I wasn't expecting it to take so little to break the curse.

We know that she told Henry she loved him for the first time, kissed him for the first time, and the curse broke right at that moment. Emma was desperate and heartbroken and thought she had lost him forever, so maybe that was a factor. Henry also loved her back, as we saw when he awakened, so that could have been a factor too.

We don't know the rules of the curse yet, or how this met the requirements for the curse. We don't even know for sure if Emma had to "beat" Regina to break the curse.

This is my theory about why the curse broke in this way, and I'd love to hear your theories!

I feel the break was multifaceted that it could be interpreted in many different ways. If Emma had to “beat” Regina in order for the curse to break (the final battle), I think it was broken in three ways; by Emma loving Henry, by Henry loving Emma, and by the Power of True Love.
    - Emma saying I love you (likely the very first time she’s ever said this), or loving anyone, broke the curse. She “beat” Regina because Regina indirectly took away Emma’s happiness, humanity, and ability to love when she separated her from her parents, dooming her to be a neglected orphan. Emma being able to overcome 28 years of neglect and abuse, and finally love and accept others into her life, was her beating Regina and it broke the curse.
    - Henry loved Emma, and directly chose her over Regina. Even though Regina had 10 years with him and no obstacles in her way, she couldn’t make him love her (I’m assuming due to the void), or show him the kind of love Emma could in just a few weeks/months. The fact that Henry was damaged his whole life, and then was able to love damaged Emma despite everything Regina did to stand in the way, was “beating” her and broke the curse.
    - The Power of True Love between Emma and Henry broke the curse. In a way, Regina separated Henry and Emma in the first place, because indirectly her actions made Emma feel worthless and unlovable (see above), and therefore an unfit mother. The Power of True Love (Magic) “beat” Regina because Emma and Henry were magically able to overcome Regina’s dark magic and find their way back to one another. Regina’s power paled in comparison to the greatest magic of all, true love, breaking the curse.
Emma: "Oh kid, you got problems."
Henry: "Yep, and you're gonna fix 'em."
sillybillyxo

Re: Finale Discussion: How did Emma...

Postby lassuel » Mon May 14, 2012 6:17 pm

You have some really good ideas going. I think that a mix of those is the reason the curse broke.
lassuel

Postby decarus » Mon May 28, 2012 5:02 pm

I don't think the curse broke. It was just a partial break where everyone got their memories back.
decarus

Postby lassuel » Mon May 28, 2012 8:06 pm

Then what would the whole of the curse entail? Would it fully break by getting them back to FTL?

I thought I remembered the blue fairie saying that Rumple would destroy FTL in his curse to get to the world where his son is. I really want some more information from the writers/creators.
lassuel

Postby sillybillyxo » Tue May 29, 2012 3:18 am

^ I agree. I think FTL is gone. I think it was literally transformed into Storybrooke. Why else would Storybrooke have the exact same landmarks at FTL (the well, the troll bridge, the same woods, the mines, not to mention Snow's shattered coffin).

The line "are you willing to sacrifice this world for the next? because that is what the curse will do" keeps bouncing around my head whenever anyone mentions "going back" to FTL. I don't think there is anywhere to go back to. We saw all the glass shattering around Regina and Snow when the curse was enacted - I think it literally ripped the world in two and left Storybrooke in it's wake.
Emma: "Oh kid, you got problems."
Henry: "Yep, and you're gonna fix 'em."
sillybillyxo

Postby decarus » Tue May 29, 2012 3:36 am

I don't think that means that the fairytale land cannot be brought back though. And i don't actually think that the landmarks are the same. I think objects were brought over like the coffin or the ring or the mobile or charming's sword, but those all seem to be magical objects in some way. So maybe magical objects were brought over.

I don't think the curse is broken if they are all stuck in the real world and i think eventually we will see everyone back in fairytale land. Not next season, but eventually.
decarus

Postby mysticalflute » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:00 pm

To quote Regina: "True love's kiss can break ANY curse."
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/4386717/ - My fanfiction!
Intervention: AU - Emma and Snow in ACFTL.
Double Trouble: Rumbelle/Snowing double date!
Settling Down: AU - Emma and Neal.
The Truth: AU - Emma and Henry.
And more!
mysticalflute

Postby misy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:07 pm

True love's kiss and the fact that Emma finally believed. I think part of the curse is broken...it will be completely broken only when Rumplestiltskin finds Baelfire. I think that's how Rumple made the curse- so they would get their memories back 'in a land without magic' so he could look for Bae before going back to Story Book Land.
"A smile relieves a heart that grieves"
misy

Postby decarus » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:02 pm

I actually still really fear that Emma is going to have to die to return everyone to the Enchanted Forest, but if that is the case maybe she will be brought back by some future true love.
decarus

Postby The Mistress » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:56 pm

decarus wrote:I actually still really fear that Emma is going to have to die to return everyone to the Enchanted Forest, but if that is the case maybe she will be brought back by some future true love.

Hmmm, maybe. But I've always held onto the belief that everyone will return to Fariytale land when Rumpel finds Bae. The curse was created to find him, so a lot is dependent on Rumpel finally locating him. I don't see Rumpel letting everyone return to Fairytale land without Bae in his possession.
"Evil isn't born dearie, it's made." ~ Rumpelstiltskin
"Because there's still good in you. I've seen it. I've always seen it." ~ Belle
Team Dearies/Team Rumbelle/Team Evil Regals
The Mistress

Postby decarus » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:26 pm

Well clearly Rumpel's desire is to find Bae. It is just we learned that if Emma dies the curse is broken so that makes me think that is the thing that can do it and not Bae returning. I do think that whatever in the end breaks the big curse, if we are to assume that it has not been broken, which i agree it has not been, that whatever breaks the big curse will be Emma's doing as her role as savior.
decarus

Postby decarus » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:54 am

Well they aren't going to kill Emma. I think that is a good way to stop it. He did that because that stops Regina from breaking the curse because she isn't trying to kill Emma and gives Emma the chance to return everyone's memories and hopefully open the boarder so that Rumpel can go look for Bae. I actually don't think that Rumpel is going to be able to leave town next season, but who knows.

Then once he gets Bae back all Rumpel has to do is tell all the bad guys that if they kill Emma that the curse will break and they get to go back so then everyone is going to try and kill Emma.
decarus

Postby kirkola » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:16 pm

decarus wrote:Well they aren't going to kill Emma. I think that is a good way to stop it. He did that because that stops Regina from breaking the curse because she isn't trying to kill Emma and gives Emma the chance to return everyone's memories and hopefully open the boarder so that Rumpel can go look for Bae. I actually don't think that Rumpel is going to be able to leave town next season, but who knows.

Then once he gets Bae back all Rumpel has to do is tell all the bad guys that if they kill Emma that the curse will break and they get to go back so then everyone is going to try and kill Emma.

Simply put, Rumple needs Emma for his plan to come to fruition. Plus, she still owes him a favor. I loved it when Emma tells Rumple that she thinks he is working diagonally. It's a pretty honest assessment of how he operates.
kirkola

Postby Mandalynn » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:35 pm

:? I was just thinking,if Emma Swan is the Swan Princess, and if she has to die for the curse to be completely broken... That makes me think we are heading down a path eventually where the savior will need true love to restore her to her true self... If she is transformed into a swan, is 'killed' & then needs TLK to bring her back... I don't know, maybe I'm trying to be optimistic here & just don't want to see Emma actually die...

Has anyone given thought to that & who Emma might be in FTL besides Snow & Charming's daughter and the savior? Just wondering... I think there are still mysteries & loopholes with The Curse that Rumple hasn't revealed... Maybe I'm just stating the obvious... :? ;)
Mandalynn

Postby mysticalflute » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:34 pm

Mandalynn wrote::? I was just thinking,if Emma Swan is the Swan Princess, and if she has to die for the curse to be completely broken... That makes me think we are heading down a path eventually where the savior will need true love to restore her to her true self... If she is transformed into a swan, is 'killed' & then needs TLK to bring her back... I don't know, maybe I'm trying to be optimistic here & just don't want to see Emma actually die...

Has anyone given thought to that & who Emma might be in FTL besides Snow & Charming's daughter and the savior? Just wondering... I think there are still mysteries & loopholes with The Curse that Rumple hasn't revealed... Maybe I'm just stating the obvious... :? ;)

Emma is not the Swan Princess. Emma is Emma, daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming. This was already confirmed.
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/4386717/ - My fanfiction!
Intervention: AU - Emma and Snow in ACFTL.
Double Trouble: Rumbelle/Snowing double date!
Settling Down: AU - Emma and Neal.
The Truth: AU - Emma and Henry.
And more!
mysticalflute

Postby lassuel » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Well, Rumple is also the Beast. Emma could also be the Swan Princess in that she might have to die for it all to be finished. But instead of her being a direct corollary to the Swan Princess like Mary Margret is to Snow, it's just the fact of her death is the connection.
lassuel

Re: Rumple, The Curse, Regina, and Emma

Postby lzclotho » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:38 am

I actually think Rumple telling Regina that Emma can't die or the curse would immediately break was a lie. He needed Emma to get the potion from the dragon since she was the only one who could do so. He needed the potion to bring back magic, because "magic is power" and that is all he cares about. He never cared about Regina's need for a fresh start in this world without magic. He only cared to piggyback on it because he didn't have a thing he loved most to sacrifice to enact the curse himself.

And to another point, I believe the fairytale world no longer exists intact. It was destroyed in enacting the curse.
LZClotho
Teams: Evil Regals, Deputies, Swan Queen
lzclotho

Return to Once Chit Chat